Diabetes is related to impaired glucose tolerance of the body where the insulin function is affected.
1. Excessive thirst and hunger
2. Frequent urination
4. Burning sensation
How yoga benefits Diabetes
1. Glucagon secretion is enhanced by stress and tension. Yoga has been proven to be effective against stress and tension which in turn controls the Glucagon secretion.
2. Diabetes is usually induced by obesity and hypertension. Yoga is effective in reducing unwanted weight and hypertension.
3. Yoga helps in enhancing insulin receptor on muscles which is enhanced by muscular relaxation and improved blood circulation thus reducing blood sugar.
4. Yoga postures tend to exercise the pancreas which heals it and improves its function.
Common Yoga postures for Diabetes
Asana or yoga posture with controlled breathing is good for any ailments especially degenerative and stress & life style related disorders. Asana or yoga posture begins by attaining a particular position followed by relaxation of muscle and controlled breathing. Physiologically, it is understood that certain postures with controlled breathing increases the blood circulation to related internal organs which in turn heals the organ. When the posture and breathing are practiced over a period of time it normalizes the organ’s physiological functions.
Some of the yoga practices recommended are
1. Surya Namaskar: This exercise (asana) increases the anti oxidant properties in the human body. It is effective in improving blood circulation and self-healing power of the body.
“Nadi suddhi pranayam” by alternate nostril breathing is effective against diabetes. This breathing exercise has a major impact on the body that in turn reduces stress or physiological factors related to diabetes. Other types of breathing exercises like “Bhramari” also show positive impact on reducing stress.
Meditation & Yoga Nidra
Yoga Nidra relieves stress and brings relaxation in the muscular and nervous system. Meditation has positive results with respect to insulin requirements and sugar levels.
Yogic detoxification and cleansing practices
Cleansing practices are recommended for diabetes. It is initiated by drinking salt water followed by yogic postures which cleanses or detoxifies the body.
Effect of Yoga practices in controlling Diabetes
Regular practice of yoga reduces stress and physical factors for diabetes which in turn normalizes and/or stabilizes the blood sugar levels and minimizes the complications of diabetes.
Dr.Mahesh Chandra Panda, M.B.B.S., M.D., Yoga Practitioner
“Stop Diabetes Movement through Yoga”
Dhrti Yoga Studio